Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian Chess

1. | #1

Default Tasmanian Chess

I am beginning to wonder if the successful the Australian National Juniors held in Hobart almost a year ago will prove to be a high water mark in Tas Chess.

Certainly all three clubs around the state seem to be stuck in the doldrums right now.
    Rumour has it that the Hobart Club has been reduced to 4 regular attendees and the situation is similarly bad in Launceston.

Even the Burnie club seems to be struggling now with some key juniors dropping out and/or moving on to Uni at the end of this year and less adults participating
    The recent Burnie Shines event attracted only a dozen or so entrants.

The members of the Launceston club are so bored with playing amongst themselves that they are pooling a car to travel to Burnie the week after next (1 1/2 hours drive each way) for an inter-club chess match.
    Should be fun.

At least the junior chess scene appears to be reasonably healthy which bodes well for the future.

Phil.
    "I was born in West Belfast. Had I not been so young at the time I would doubtless have chosen a less fractious stage upon which to make my debut.."
    Phil Donnelly

2. | #2

Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    Rumour has it that the Hobart Club has been reduced to 4 regular attendees and the situation is similarly bad in Launceston.
    To have an ACF Vice President from Hobart, and at the same time to see the Hobart club struggling so much, it makes one think - why isn't Kevin doing more to get more ACF resources pumped into the Hobart Chess Club to help it regrow?

Perhaps its because he is too busy Chess Chatting to bother with worthwhile initiatives like that.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

3. | #3

It would be sad to see chess die in Tas. A 90 minute trip once a fortnight (home and away) is not that bad. In fact, it makes the whole thing more social!

As for Hobart, hmmm. Time for KB to sweat talk the ex and some prospective players. Oh stuff it! He cannot do that - it is beyond his capacity as a human being. Sorry, I meant Pan troglodytes (ssp bonham).
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

4. | #4

Default Don't Fear The Reaper

So , am i to understand this correctly ...
    For all of KB's wonderful qualities has he not presided over the decimation of not one but two jurisdictions under his authority ??

"Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

5. | #5

[QUOTE=Axiom;33230]So , am i to understand this correctly ...
    For all of KB's wonderful qualities has he not presided over the decimation of not one but two jurisdictions under his authority ??

AC

I made the mistake of listening to a only a bit of that Blue Oyster Cult video, how boringly they sing - like bubble gum music

6. | #6

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post

I made the mistake of listening to a only a bit of that Blue Oyster Cult video, how boringly they sing - like bubble gum music
    if only KB was as innocuous eh ?
    Last edited by Axiom; 28-11-10 at 01:23 PM.
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

7. | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    So , am i to understand this correctly ...
    In Tassie there's a [half million] spread over several population centres and in reality support for chess is always going to be marginal with such low numbers.
    Could be personalities of those running the clubs has some impact.
    Hard to address that though without hurting someone's feelings, and i am not singling out any one in particular here.

A few years back we had relatively very good numbers at the BCC. At that time the management team style was pretty relaxed. A lot of democratic decision making going on. Maybe that was a factor?

btw Kevin has pointed out that numbers at the Launceston club are better than the rumours that I heard had indicated (though he didn't quantify this).
    Good to hear though.
    It will be interesting to see how many of them front up at the BCC club Wednesday week.
    Last edited by Iconoclast; 28-11-10 at 11:40 AM. Reason: "few million" replaces by "half million" I hope this helps avoids red herrings risks :)
    "I was born in West Belfast. Had I not been so young at the time I would doubtless have chosen a less fractious stage upon which to make my debut.."
    Phil Donnelly

8. | #8

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    What's wrong with bubble gum music??

I'm listening to ABBA right now, "Knowing me, Knowing him, Ahaha".
    Great tune and the words are easy to remember too.
    Phil Donnelly

9. | #9

What's wrong with bubble gum music??

I'm listening to ABBA right now, "Knowing me, Knowing him, Ahaha".
    Great tune and the words are easy to remember too.
    Forgive me, but ABBA is a much better a band than Blue Oyster Cult.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

10. | #10

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Forgive me, but ABBA is a much better a band than Blue Oyster Cult.
    l do agree that ABBA is certainly more classical and simply to follow as

I'am a fan ! ,due to my mum and dads parties growing up as a teenager .

Music is very good in its own right colt or not , so l say each to their own !

It could be worse AX could be listening to Marilyn Manson

11. | #11

It will be interesting to see how many of them (Ltn players) front up at the BCC club Wednesday week.
    Well as it happens they squeezed 5 chess players into a car and drove 1 1/2 hours each way through the driving rain to play chess.

The match was closer than I 1st thought it would be but in the end it was Launceston 3 Burnie 2
    I went down to Marcus on board 1
    and Mike Baldini beat our Reg Harvey on 2
    Dylan Kuzmic did exceptionally well to hold Lawrence Bretag to a draw on 3
    and Burnie's Nigel Lewis held Charlie Fourie to a draw on 4.
    On 5 Russell Horton beat George Hambley to score Burnie's only win on the night.

And apparently the chess scene in Launceston is relatively healthy as I have been told that they now have a pool of up to 20 drifting in and out of the club on two separate nights each week.

There was talk of a rematch at Launceston but they can count me out of that one. A 3 hour round trip for 1 game of chess is a bridge too far for me.

Phil.
    Last edited by phild707; 09-12-10 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Oops - got the results wrong!
    Phil Donnelly

12. | #12

Well as it happens they squeezed 5 chess players into a car and drove 1 1/2 hours each way through the driving rain to play chess and when they got here they did to us basically what England's being doing to Australia in the Ashes.

There was talk of a rematch at Launceston but they can count me out of that one. A 3 hour round trip for 1 game of chess is a bridge too far for me.
    I have a theory that for each minute spent on the road before a match, you lose 1 point in playing standard. You lost about 100 points each. So when they play THEIR AWAY GAME in Burnie, the differential will be 200 points better for you than the last debacle . Do not wimp it.
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

13. | #13
    SvetlanaBabe
    Guests

Thumbs up Tasmanian Chess

I went to Tasmania a few years ago with Gary Bekker IA and played in Launceston. What a beautiful town!

I was surprised and chuffed that there were so many good chess players there.

Is Leo Minol still alive?

(My daughter and I were looking for 'The two-headed people' but couldn't find any.

Where are they to be found?

14. | #14

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I have a theory that for each minute spent on the road before a match, you lose 1 point in playing standard. You lost about 100 points each. So when they play THEIR AWAY GAME in Burnie, the differential will be 200 points better for you than the last debacle . Do not wimp it.
    Maybe I didn't make it clear but it was actually their away game in Burnie last night. So on the return match Burnie travels.
    Phil Donnelly

15. | #15

Quote Originally Posted by SvetlanaBabe View Post
    I went to Tasmania a few years ago with Gary Bekker IA and played in Launceston. What a beautiful town!

I was surprised and chuffed that there were so many good chess players there.

Is Leo Minol still alive?

(My daughter and I were looking for 'The two-headed people' but couldn't find any.

Where are they to be found?
    Oh there's plenty of them around this (red)neck of the woods.
    I'm gonna write a book about it one day... those long cold wet winter nights in the North West, TV reception's so lousy folks gets to bein' idle and bored and take to having it away with close relatives... Darwin's theory explains what happens after that

I am pretty sure Leo is still around but now with advancing years has retired from the chess board.

btw. Could you write something in Russian please? Just a line or two. I'd be really impressed and appreciative.
    thanks.
    Phil
    Phil Donnelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast