Thread: The Gap Chess Club's AGM

1. | #1

Exclamation The Gap Chess Club's AGM

The motion below was passed at The Gap Chess Club's recent AGM. I have played at this club in the past. While this is not expressly stated in the Minutes, some people may see this as a motion of no confidence in the CAQ and in the CAQ leadership.

Motion 3 – Proposed by Andrew Robinson (Seconded by Greg Colwell)
    “During 2011 the club will follow these rules:
    CAQ membership will not be a requirement to enter club tournaments.
    CAQ fees will not collected by the club.
    Annual tournament fee will be reduced from $25 to $10
    Club tournaments will not be submitted to the CAQ for rating
    Explanatory notes accompanying Motion 3
    1. CAQ membership fees will rise from $10 to $15 in 2011.
    2. If the motion is passed, total fees will be:
    $10 club membership + $10 tournament fees = $20 Total
    3. If the motion is not passed, total fees will remain at 2010 levels plus the $5 increase in CAQ membership: $10 club membership + $15 CAQ fee + $25 tournament fees = $50 Total
    4. The benefit is saving $30.
    5. The loss is that the club’s tournaments will not be rated, and players’ games will not be rated.
    6. Club members are still free to join the CAQ if they wish to.
    7. The club will continue to be affiliated to the CAQ.
    (Voting: 4 in favour; 3 against, 2 abstained)
    The motion was carried.
    The full Minutes are available here.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

2. | #2

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    The motion below was passed at The Gap Chess Club's recent AGM. I have played at this club in the past. While this is not expressly stated in the Minutes, some people may see this as a motion of no confidence in the CAQ and in the CAQ leadership.
    The full Minutes are available here.
    This is the norm all over Qld because the CAQ has lost its way. Brisbane base players that control the CAQ have no idea how to run a State Association.
    Brisbane chess club has never run a Grand Prix Open week end Tournament so how can these people run a State? The Gap once ran Open Tournaments and now have voted with their feet like so many other clubs in Qld.
    This rubbish started under the HD rule.

3. | #3

Default from Bright Side of Moon NSW AGM

Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    blah blah blah non reprintable due to defamo laws, look at bright side NSW AGM.

Peter Parr
    A chess playing lawyer friend of many years has given me legal advice that post 5 by Brian Jones of 28 November 2010 at 8.28am is clearly defamatory to me.

He has advised me that at this stage I should only make the following statements. The NSWCA President had a busy year as outlined in the Presidential report at the NSWCA AGM.

All matters relating to the SIO and Parramatta Chess Festival were discussed and all decisions were made by the full NSWCA Council. I reject entirely the false allegations made against me.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Now Alex, the jury is out but are just around the corner coming back in - get on your roller skates
    Last edited by antichrist; 28-12-10 at 12:38 AM.

4. | #4

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Now Alex, the jury is out but are just around the corner coming back in - get on your roller skates
    This has nothing to do with me mate. Seems like an internal NSW chess dispute. I've never met either of these blokes, and will leave it to them to sort their own issues out.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

5. | #5

This has nothing to do with me mate. Seems like an internal NSW chess dispute. I've never met either of these blokes, and will leave it to them to sort their own issues out.
    I was making the comparison of NSW AGM and Qld QGM, and you obviously being Rex you are treading on the same thickness of ice as Brian Jones of NSW AGM thread. Are you beginning to feel like polar bears with global warming coming on?

6. | #6

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I was making the comparison of NSW AGM and Qld QGM, and you obviously being Rex you are treading on the same thickness of ice as Brian Jones of NSW AGM thread. Are you beginning to feel like polar bears with global warming coming on?
    I'm not Rex. Keep in mind I wasn't the only person who didn't get along with a former CAQ council member. I won't reveal Rex's identity but you can PM him if you like and ask who he is.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

7. | #7

I'm not Rex. Keep in mind I wasn't the only person who didn't get along with a former CAQ council member. I won't reveal Rex's identity but you can PM him if you like and ask who he is.
    PMs are like dogs chasing their tail - run around chasing info but getting the raw prawn

You aren't Rex but are like Rex - long lost relos?

8. | #8

Default Post on CC by CAQ President

There are two big issues for The Gap in 2011. When a club affiliates with CAQ, it is covered under CAQ's insurance scheme for all club related activities. But to be a covered club, said club must have 5 members at all times.

If The Gap does not sign up 5 members, then they are not covered under CAQ's insurance policy.

Also, by not signing up any members, The Gap denies itself of any opportunity to have a vote (s) at the CAQ AGM.

I will also add that if The Gap does decide to hold this line, then they lose their privileged position of Friday nights. This means that if another club wanted to start up on Friday night and run rated events, that would be considered. Whereas, if The Gap were still rating their events, then CAQ would be advising the new club to find another night, or convince us that the new club would not impact on The Gap.
    -----------------
    The CAQ President is from the Brisbane Chess Club. His club in the last 30 years has not run a weekend open rated tournament while The Gap has run a lot over this time. It is not the CAQ place to tell clubs what night they can meet on. The CAQ agreed to the ACF policy of user pays and that clubs did not have to register all its members. Only the ones who played rated games.
    Many of the Gap players do not play in weekend rated tournaments because of under rated junior taking too many points off them. So they just do their own thing. A lot of clubs and chess players have left the CAQ because of its big stick policy.

9. | #9

Sorry to crash the party but you only got a tie - both sides ran out of mating material

Members who have read this thread since 13-03-20, 09:18 PM : 0

Actions :  (View-Readers)  (Set Date)  (Clear Date)

There are no names to display.