Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garvin Gray's Arbiter Fees

1. | #1

Thumbs down Garvin Gray's Arbiter Fees

Garvin Gray likes to complain to other tournament organisers for not inviting him to run for the Arbiter job, but the CAQ didn't even give me an offer to participate in any of CAQ tournaments as an arbiter.
    Judge for your self!
    Here are the Garvin fees:
    Code:
    5 	Ratification of Email Decisions
    5.1	The Council agreed to pay Garvin Gray $600 as arbiter of the 2011 Qld Open
    5.2	The Council agreed to pay Garvin Gray $400 as arbiter of the 2011 Qld Championship
    5.3	The Council agreed to pay Garvin Gray $175 for 2011 Qld Championship accommodation
    Most of these fees, I would donate to Juniors who need some financial support to rise their moral for chess improvement.
    I am not sure what Garvin is going to do with $1,175.00 which he shall be earning.

2. | #2
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

Interesting,

I do believe arbiters should be paid because it is a job that requires a certain level of professionalism. However, I would much rather see a governing body use an arbiter who is willing to donate back their fees, even if that person was a complete beginner, then waste money for such an expenditure. If there is a choice, then go with the person who will give back to chess, regardless of the quality of the service.

I believe that if bodies like the CAQ are going to pay such high fees for the arbiter, then they should do it in a much smarter way. In my opinion, they should negotiate a contract with the arbiter to get better value. Bulletins, State organisational work, webpage updates etc etc. Make those greedy arbiters work a little bit harder for their money so they give something back!
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

3. | #3
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    aboiut how much a day did it work out - as he is only lowly-rated player and not a doctor like Charles Z is his rates should be only nominal I think.
    I don't think being a Doctor should make any difference.
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

4. | #4

When you run tournaments with the 3-1-0 scoring system, what do you expect? A silver platter?

5. | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    I believe that if bodies like the CAQ are going to pay such high fees for the arbiter, then they should do it in a much smarter way.
    Garvin, as CAQ President, likely disagrees and is quite content with the current arrangement. I just hope no one reports him to Centrelink, because when I was living one suburb over from Garvin who resides in The Gap, I know for a fact he was receiving disability benefits for a back injury.

Strange that someone can still work full time as an arbiter, yet have a disability requiring government assistance.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

6. | #6

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Interesting,

I do believe arbiters should be paid because it is a job that requires a certain level of professionalism. However, I would much rather see a governing body use an arbiter who is willing to donate back their fees, even if that person was a complete beginner, then waste money for such an expenditure. If there is a choice, then go with the person who will give back to chess, regardless of the quality of the service.

I believe that if bodies like the CAQ are going to pay such high fees for the arbiter, then they should do it in a much smarter way. In my opinion, they should negotiate a contract with the arbiter to get better value. Bulletins, State organisational work, webpage updates etc etc. Make those greedy arbiters work a little bit harder for their money so they give something back!
    The Problem is that CAQ (non-for profit organisation gets milked) does everything what GG wants.
    The Arbiter should be paid, but don't we have some kind of limit?
    I am not sure how Garvin Grey is counted as an professional Arbiter!?

1. He cannot communicate with the players. ( must improve)
    2. He loves money and not chess. (needs to stop milking CAQ)
    3. He is not able to work with live games transmission (one of the condition to become IA),
    he just drags DGT boards around that everyone thinks he is The Professional
    ( must spend more time with Live games and not wasting time on Chesschat).

7. | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kings of chess View Post
    The Problem is that CAQ (non-for profit organisation gets milked) does everything what GG wants.
    The Arbiter should be paid, but don't we have some kind of limit?
    I am not sure how Garvin Grey is counted as an professional Arbiter!?

1. He cannot communicate with the players. ( must improve)
    2. He loves money and not chess. (needs to stop milking CAQ)
    3. He is not able to work with live games transmission (one of the condition to become IA),
    he just drags DGT boards around that everyone thinks he is The Professional
    ( must spend more time with Live games and not wasting time on Chesschat).
    There is plenty of room for improvement. Perhaps he spends so much time on Chess Chat because Kevin basically takes his orders from Garvin these days.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

8. | #8

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    There is plenty of room for improvement. Perhaps he spends so much time on Chess Chat because Kevin basically takes his orders from Garvin these days.
    Bit of a convaluted sentence from a lawyer isn't it? The judge would be asking you to clarify what you mean

9. | #9

Default from shoutbox

[Today 05:10 PM] Kevin Bonham: a judge would be laughing it out of court

Today 05:09 PM] antichrist: J2G, Bit of a convaluted sentence from a lawyer isn't it, a judge would be asking you to clarify it

10. | #10

[Today 05:10 PM]Kevin Bonham: a judge would be laughing it out of court
    Careful AC,

Kevin doesn't like it when his shouts are re-produced as posts on OzChess. He might make up a rule on CC about it, and use it as a pre-text to ban you

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

11. | #11

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Careful AC,

Kevin doesn't like it when his shouts are re-produced as posts on OzChess. He might make up a rule on CC about it, and use it as a pre-text to ban you
    you mean like when they arrested Pinochet in Britain or Spain was it?

12. | #12

As Garvin is CAQ President and there is no one else invited to tender for the job as arbitor. Is this not insider trading and against the law?
    Qld incorporation Act I believe have rules about such going on's.
    Chess Chat seems to be on his side so what does that say about Chess Chat?

13. | #13

The CV President got paid more than that to run a 1-day tournament here in Victoria!

I think there is a culture in chess admin in Aus that you don't do anything unless you're paid. A lot of admins also claim "reimbursements" which would turn an eye or two in other NFPs.

Yes, for some events you might need a paid arbiter, but many sports have volunteer arbiters right up to Nationals and even beyond. And it costs them travel/accommodation as well...

There is a big outcry against "commercial interest" in chess, but the reality is that someone like myself never charges anything to mainstream chess players, I only sponsor, donate, share ... perhaps the fear of commercial interest from Chess Admin stems from them potentially losing their opportunity to "milk" the association they supposedly work for.

Even players share this mercenary attitude - try getting players to play without cash prizemoney, ask an IM to pay an entry fee...

14. | #14

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuru View Post
    Even players share this mercenary attitude - try getting players to play without cash prizemoney, ask an IM to pay an entry fee...

Players play their weekly club chess mostly without prizemoney.

And those who go to weekend tourneys often realise that they cannot win but go for the social side, the chess side and to contribute to prizemoney for others and to support chess. Some players who don't win a point at Doeberl still go there and claim to have a wow of a time.

During Sydney Easter Cup I had terrific people being DOP etc and asking no fees or concessions.

Now CG, that may not have an organiser next year, there is an opening for you

15. | #15

Players play their weekly club chess mostly without prizemoney.

And those who go to weekend tourneys often realise that they cannot win but go for the social side, the chess side and to contribute to prizemoney for others and to support chess. Some players who don't win a point at Doeberl still go there and claim to have a wow of a time.

During Sydney Easter Cup I had terrific people being DOP etc and asking no fees or concessions.
    Well I'll be damned!

A good post by antichrist which actually relates to chess! What is the world coming to?

Keep this up AC, and the circus folk might actually come to miss you when you are permanently banned there.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast