Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New CAQ Council 2008

1. | #61
    Sunshine Coast Chess Player Bill Powell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    And to this end, old man powell is going to do what exactly, at his grass roots club level?
    The hypocrite is you Brian, You and the hostile committee that I had to deal with while I was President of the CAQ for the third time in 2007.
    You and you mate Howard have not inspired one member that I know of the play in an open Tournament. Nor have you run one Open Tournament at your Club. Nor have inspired your club to hosted one ACF event.
    At Ipswich I ran 6 Open Tournaments, and was involved in hosting The Australian Junior Tournament and Australian Girls Tournament.
    At Suncoast Chess Club I inspired the club to run Open Tournaments and ran the first 4 Grand Prix events. Suncoast club hosted a large number of open tournaments plus the Australian Open.
    As President of the CAQ December 1991 to March 1994 I took the CAQ from being bankrupt to a healthy bank account. Qld at that time had more Grand Prix tournaments than any other state in Australia. Also our top players played in the Qld Champioships. Chess was played all over Qld. Of cause I had a great Secretary in Mark Stokes and a great Treasurer in Norm Braybrook. Last time round I had you as Secretary and Murray as Treasurer who were both hostile to me along with Membership Secretary Gail Young. I remind you that I won the election 24 votes to 1 against Garvin. I had a mandate that you and the hostile committee ignored.
    Under Howard as president the CAQ lost clubs and Grand Prix tournaments fell to behind NSW and Victoria and equal with ACT. Top Players did not play in the Qld Championship. (This is a subject that you and Howard will always avoid.) I inspired Allan Menham to play in his first open tournament and I talked him into hosting the Bunderberg Open. When I became CAQ President I phoned Toowoomba and talked them into running an open tournament. (By the way check Gunners post’s and you will find him saying it is great to see Toowoomba once again hosting an open tournament, I wonder who has stirred them up in Toowoomba for this to happen.) I also reactivated Ipswich Chess Club but after what you and the hostile committee did to me as CAQ President they did not rejoin the CAQ. I have stood down as President of the Suncoast Chess Club at the AGM 2009 and have retired from organised Chess.
    Boris if you and your mates on Chess Chat put as much effort into fostering and promoting Chess as you do in rubbishing people chess would be played all over Australia by now.
    BRISBANE CHESS CLUB HAS NOT HOSTED ONE GRAND PRIX TOURNAMET OR HOSTED ONE ACF TOURNAMENT. (Howards Club).
    Brian you gave the CAQ away because you were out of your depth.

2. | #62

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    This is incorrect.
    Brian Jones had nothing to do with the setting up of the Western Suburbs Chess Premiership which started back in the early 1980's.
    If you don't mind who did set it up, the Assoc?

Did Brian take it over and why?

3. | #63
    Sunshine Coast Chess Player Bill Powell's Avatar

Default Look at resuts only

While the CAQ does not have to let individual members know that the AGM is on, I have always believed that if Qld is to find the great leadership that is needed to understand Qld and foster and promote chess all over Qld then all paid up individual members should be sent an email telling them that the CAQ AGM is on and that they may seek nomination.
    The only time this was done in the last 10 years was while I was President for the 2006 December AGM. Gail Young (a person on the Howards team) told me I was mad to do so as “we may get someone on council that we do not want”.
    Let us look at results.
    Under Howard as President, a quote from chess chat - From Patrick Byrom 14/12/2009 Chess Chat. (Only having five people with votes may sound small, but in 2005 all the votes were held by myself and Mark Stokes).
    At the AGM December 2006 when I was president there were 26 votes while 0ne did not vote, all were represented.
    2009 CAQ AGM 15 votes with only 5 present. ???? (66% did not turn up)
    Chess Chat Quote by Garrett 14/12/2009 a Brisbane club Member - (I had no idea it was on). In answer by Boris chess chat 14/12/2009 – (Ditto).
    The CAQ President is a Brisbane chess club member.
    I have always believed that the CAQ does not belong to a small group of people in Brisbane as it is a State Association.

4. | #64

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
    You and the hostile committee that I had to deal with while I was President of the CAQ for the third time in 2007.

You and you mate Howard have not inspired one member that I know of the play in an open Tournament.

Nor have you run one Open Tournament at your Club.

Bill, I think you summed it up nicely.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

5. | #65

This organization gives everyone opportunity to show our merit.

6. | #66

well who is going to this year's agm? when is it on and who is qualified to attend? And who is invited?

7. | #67

Why don't you call Garvin Gray of the CAQ and ask him? I am sure he would be delighted to take your call and explain the rules and procedures of the AGM to you. His number is 0422 993 062.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

8. | #68

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Why don't you call Garvin Gray of the CAQ and ask him? I am sure he would be delighted to take your call and explain the rules and procedures of the AGM to you. His number is 0422 993 062.
    How many votes did he get a few years ago when he ran for something?

9. | #69
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.

Probably not the correct thread for this observation..
    but..

this chesschat Chess Chat - Australia's Premier Chess Forum - View Single Post - Gold Coast Tin Cup Sat/Sun 12/13 Feb

has this link ..

http://www.caq.org.au/htm/current.htm

which is a very small list?
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

10. | #70

List is probably incomplete as no one from the Townsville or Logan clubs seems to be on it. However, that said, it is probably true that the CAQ will suffer their lowest ever attendance levels under Garvin's presidency.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

11. | #71

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    List is probably incomplete as no one from the Townsville or Logan clubs seems to be on it. However, that said, it is probably true that the CAQ will suffer their lowest ever attendance levels under Garvin's presidency.
    Spot on J2G, just take a look at the Australian Day weekender run by Garven - only 19 players. Most Queenslanders hate him and they stayed away because he was running this event.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345