View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite post made in December!

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: February 08 - Post of the Month

  1. | #1
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default February 08 - Post of the Month

    I have decided OzChess needs a Post of the Month winner, every month. We missed last month, but no worries, problem is being solved. The way this will work is as follows:

    On the 24th of every month nominations of posts can be made. Nominations will be by Private Message to myself or just nominating in this thread.

    If more than 5 different posts are nominated, then I will vet some nominations so that only 5 candidate posts remain.

    Voting will be the first two days of the following month, and winner will be announced shortly thereafter.

    I am open to suggestions as per prizes.

    Now, for the Month of August, the following poll contains the 4 options - voting will be private but you can vote for more than one post if you wish to. Winner to be announced at the start of October, and nominations are now also open for September's posts and will remain open until 28 September with that poll open for 2 days allowing the simultaneous awarding of both months.
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  2. | #2
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default Prize for Post of the Month

    Okay,

    Interest in the Post of the Month has been minimal, so its time to sweeten the pot.

    For the months of October, November, and December (and possibly into the New Year), the winner of the Post of the Month will receive $30 dollars.

    The poster must, however, have an Australian Bank Account so funds can be easily deposited, and have posted at least 5 quality posts (ie. Preferably more than 4 sentences long). Also, you cannot nominate your own post - someone else has to do that for you.

    Polls will be first past the post (ie. one member, one vote, no preference system). Phil won the August Post of the Month (sorry mate, no prize, but bragging rights). Bragging rights for September are also up for grabs, but no prize money for September.

    Nominations are now open for October (and September). Poll will go up as per above post.

    Good Hunting,

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  3. | #3
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,151

    Default Three that I enjoyed

    The best post is governed by the choice of criteria to determine best.
    For example, best in the context
    > created the most controversy and response
    > created the most harmonious environment
    > was a brand new issue of great interest
    > added significantly to our intellectual capital
    > and so on.

    For me, for Sept-Oct I have been particularly impressed by
    1 Elliott's http://ozchess.com.au/showpost.php?p=1481&postcount=33
    He tackles a difficult topic, in his first post here, and finds the harmonious middle ground.

    2 Steve's posts on the appropriateness of the intervention in Phil's sig file

    3 The advertisements for American chess events.


    MOZ

  4. | #4
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    CHRIST! How did I miss this thread

    I s'pose Next month I can wake up
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  5. | #5
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default Few nominations so far

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    The best post is governed by the choice of criteria to determine best.
    For example, best in the context
    > created the most controversy and response
    > created the most harmonious environment
    > was a brand new issue of great interest
    > added significantly to our intellectual capital
    > and so on.

    MOZ
    Well Moz,

    No other posts have been nominated by anyone either via PM or by posting in this thread to nominate. Nominations in the shoutbox do not count. Nominations end tomorrow at midnight. I am nominating Vale Buggerlugs by The Observer. That brings the total of candidates to 2.
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  6. | #6
    Senior Member phild707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ostrówek, Gmina Karczew, Poland
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    Well Moz,

    No other posts have been nominated by anyone either via PM or by posting in this thread to nominate. Nominations in the shoutbox do not count. Nominations end tomorrow at midnight. I am nominating Vale Buggerlugs by The Observer. That brings the total of candidates to 2.

    AO,
    Do the posts have to be OZChess posts?
    Some of the posts that appear on CC from time to time are pretty impressive too.
    In recent times I am thinking of Spiny and Phil Bourke.
    (Sort of like a foreign film being nominated for an Oscar )
    Phil.
    "I was born in West Belfast. Had I not been so young at the time I would doubtless have chosen a less fractious stage upon which to make my debut.."
    Phil Donnelly

  7. | #7
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    AO,
    Do the posts have to be OZChess posts?
    Some of the posts that appear on CC from time to time are pretty impressive too.
    In recent times I am thinking of Spiny and Phil Bourke.
    (Sort of like a foreign film being nominated for an Oscar )
    Phil.

    AO
    I agree with Phil.
    My nomination of some of frosty's work was chesschat


    I nominated three posters (rather than posts). How do you get the count to be 2 rather than 3+1=4?
    Two nominators?

    MOZ
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  8. | #8
    Senior Member phild707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ostrówek, Gmina Karczew, Poland
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke View Post
    All garbage aside, one thing remains unchanged, KB did abuse his rights as moderator to access and change PD's sigfile......

    - The above Post was made by Phil on Chess Chat -
    This courageous and honest statement of a self-evident truth is my nomination for post of the month AO.

    "I was born in West Belfast. Had I not been so young at the time I would doubtless have chosen a less fractious stage upon which to make my debut.."
    Phil Donnelly

  9. | #9
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    This courageous and honest statement of a self-evident truth is my nomination for post of the month AO.

    Yes, I agree Phil... a courageous and clear post by PB.
    However, I nominated frosty because I think he was on the same track much earlier.

    Both are excellent examples that should not be discounted.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  10. | #10
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    AO,
    Do the posts have to be OZChess posts?
    Some of the posts that appear on CC from time to time are pretty impressive too.
    In recent times I am thinking of Spiny and Phil Bourke.
    (Sort of like a foreign film being nominated for an Oscar )
    Phil.
    I am afraid that the post of the month needs to be an OzChess post guys. The idea of the POTM and corresponding monetary reward is to improve posting rates here. That objective wouldn't occur if CC posts were included Also, if CC posts counted, Phil's 'not medically qualified' post in response to Bill Gletsos would be a definite winner!

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    I nominated three posters (rather than posts). How do you get the count to be 2 rather than 3+1=4?
    Two nominators?

    MOZ
    You only linked to one post by HeavyKnight (I therefore thought you were nominating that post). The American tournament details are from a poster with less than 5 quality posts, and he is an American and therefore ineligible because he doesn't have an Australian bank account as required in posts 1 and 2 of this thread

    If someone wants to nominate a specific post of Frosty's then I'd be happy to add it to the nominations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    I am nominating Vale Buggerlugs by The Observer. That brings the total of candidates to 2.
    Unfortunately I didn't realize it at the time, but I can't nominate Vale Bluggerlugs. The Observer doesn't have a minimum of 5 posts. That means there is only one nominated post as of today, HeavyKnight, with the nominations to close at midnight tonight.

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  11. | #11
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,151

    Default And maybe even HK does not qualify?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    I am afraid that the post of the month needs to be an OzChess post guys. The idea of the POTM and corresponding monetary reward is to improve posting rates here. That objective wouldn't occur if CC posts were included Also, if CC posts counted, Phil's 'not medically qualified' post in response to Bill Gletsos would be a definite winner!


    You only linked to one post by HeavyKnight (I therefore thought you were nominating that post). The American tournament details are from a poster with less than 5 quality posts, and he is an American and therefore ineligible because he doesn't have an Australian bank account as required in posts 1 and 2 of this thread


    If someone wants to nominate a specific post of Frosty's then I'd be happy to add it to the nominations.


    Unfortunately I didn't realize it at the time, but I can't nominate Vale Bluggerlugs. The Observer doesn't have a minimum of 5 posts. That means there is only one nominated post as of today, HeavyKnight, with the nominations to close at midnight tonight.


    AO
    I have had a second look at frosty's here. (Except for the GOD thread. )

    His best work was there, not here.
    So only 1 nomination from me.

    Your other rule explanations are all good.

    regards
    MOZ
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  12. | #12
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default HeavyKnight Wins Post of the Month - October

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    I have had a second look at frosty's here. (Except for the GOD thread. )

    His best work was there, not here.
    So only 1 nomination from me.

    Your other rule explanations are all good.

    regards
    MOZ
    Post of the month for October has been won by HeavyKnight who pockets $30 for his efforts. His post was the only one nominated and can be found Here.

    Just to review the basic rules of the competition. Posters must:

    (a) Have an Australian Bank Account; and
    (b) Have made at least 5 posts.

    Nominations must be:

    (c) Done in this thread; or
    (d) Done by PM to me; and
    (e) of a Poster's post only if that poster meets the criteria in (a) and (b).
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  13. | #13
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    Post of the month for October has been won by HeavyKnight who pockets $30 for his efforts. His post was the only one nominated and can be found Here.

    Just to review the basic rules of the competition. Posters must:

    (a) Have an Australian Bank Account; and
    (b) Have made at least 5 posts.

    Nominations must be:

    (c) Done in this thread; or
    (d) Done by PM to me; and
    (e) of a Poster's post only if that poster meets the criteria in (a) and (b).
    You will have a hard job AO awarding the prize to HK. He is a very generous man and is more likely to be found giving rather than receiving. An admirable inaugural winner.

    MOZ
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  14. | #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default thank you all!

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    You will have a hard job AO awarding the prize to HK. He is a very generous man and is more likely to be found giving rather than receiving. An admirable inaugural winner.

    MOZ
    Thank you all for your kind comments and of course the first prize award, which was a really pleasant suprise to me!
    And Trevor, I really appreciate your words which I know are from the heart. As I have already indicated to AO, who kindly informed me by PM about winning the first prize, I would like to donate the winner's prize of $30.00 to the needs of the OzChess to be used as the Administration sees fit.
    Again thank you all very much!

  15. | #15
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,094

    Default HeavyKnight a Generous Winner

    Quote Originally Posted by heavyknight View Post
    Thank you all for your kind comments and of course the first prize award, which was a really pleasant suprise to me!
    And Trevor, I really appreciate your words which I know are from the heart. As I have already indicated to AO, who kindly informed me by PM about winning the first prize, I would like to donate the winner's prize of $30.00 to the needs of the OzChess to be used as the Administration sees fit.
    Again thank you all very much!
    Thank you HeavyKnight.

    Thanks to you the $30 will now be used to make the shoutbox better (basically OzChess will purchase the Shoutbox Pro which costs $30 US) and install it here. Currently we have Shoutbox Lite, which is free.

    What are some of the benefits of Shoutbox Pro?

    Well, unless I am mistaken, you can PM people directly from the shoutbox, it will have an archive, you can have private conversations with people in the shoutbox, and there will be a smiley menu under the shoutbox for ease of smileying That's just some of the benefits. Hopefully it will be installed over the weekend.

    Thanks again HeavyKnight, OzChess loves you!
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread since 23-02-20, 05:02 PM : 0

Actions :  (View-Readers)  (Set Date)  (Clear Date)

There are no names to display.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •