View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite post made in December!

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February 08 - Post of the Month

1. | #31

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Yes it is abhorrent. So what? There are lotsa abhorrent human behaviors that are abhorrent but we do do criminalise them. Why criminalise bestiallity?

Yes it is exploitative. So what? So are zoos and duck liver pate and the Melbourne Cup. Why criminalise bestiallity?
    i nominate this for post of the month

ahahahahahha <insert silverback here<

2. | #32

Default September

Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    Yeh, well done to Gendo.
    Okay, the last neglected month (September) is now ready. Please put your nominations for posts made during the month of September in by this Sunday at 5pm, and then we can vote for the POTM for September for 48 hours. Please be mindful that this is an honourary month, and the $30 prize is only for October, November, and December winners. So the winner for September will not receive a monetary prize.

AO
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

3. | #33

I haven't looked to hard, but of the September posts I saw this one was funny, so it is my choice.

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showpost.p...21&postcount=6

4. | #34

Even the Pentagon Report into Global Warming anticipates a natural cull in human numbers as environmental conditions deteriorate. Western border control is now becoming so strict to control a mass influx from regions facing major food and water shortages. The Pentagon anticipates increasing conflict as resources continue to diminish.

Already global warming is having major human impact, but the healthy in priveliged societies will not really feel the impact for another 20 years or so. The wealthy willobviously escape much of the medium term fall out.

Coupled with declining fossil fuel production, life for many poor people will become intolerable. Or should I say more people will fall into intolerable poverty, but their voices will never be heard. Food production is so heavily dependent upon fossil fuels the prospects for large numbers of humans is bleak indeed.

Western countries will become fortresses. Our media will keep us ignorant of the conditions outside our cosy confines. Insurrections will be portrayed as acts of wanton terrorism. We will be increasingly controlled by fear, electronic toys and through a continuation of the dumbing down process that we have witnessed already. Our perceptions will be reframed in order that we conform to an increasingly intrusional society with draconian rules promoted through prejudice and hatred.

We are living in 1984 and Big Sister is with us, but she's not a product of government but the wellsprung of the multinational corporations. She is not in 1 place, but like God she is everywhere, from the billboards along the highways, to our television screens and the memes inside our minds we are fed daily.

The only question is whether the earth's environment will ever stabilise or has it already been pushed beyond the limits of its homeostatic mechanisms and desolation is inevitable. The skeptics in the know are not sceptical about global warming, but whether mankind has the capacity to affect the inevitable catastrophe that is maybe less than 1 or 2 centuries away. For them its simply a matter of making hay while the sun shines as collapse is sure to follow. But they will never tell you that because you are too small and insignificant to count. Bye bye buddy, welcome to armageddon

5. | #35

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-Chess View Post
    I haven't looked to hard, but of the September posts I saw this one was funny, so it is my choice.

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showpost.p...21&postcount=6
    Euro

Sorry for my delayed response. As you were the only one to make a September nomination, the post you selected will be the winner for POTM September. Thanks,

AO

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

6. | #36

Default December - Post of the Month

Posts 39 and 42 of this thread are the only posts nominated for Post of the Month - December 2007 so far. I had to fish them out from other threads, so if any other Posts have been nomiated in other threads - please let me know. The poll goes up tomorrow.

AO

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

7. | #37
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.

Default My nomination.

I was rather taken by firegoat's research post. And the one that followed it (because of the posting limit).

Original research, revealing the original rationale for the appointment has passed its shelf life, I thought showed energy and scholarship.

MOZ
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

8. | #38

Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    I was rather taken by firegoat's research post. And the one that followed it (because of the posting limit).

Original research, revealing the original rationale for the appointment has passed its shelf life, I thought showed energy and scholarship.

MOZ
    Great Find! I forgot about that one, thanks Moz. That brings the contenders to 3.

If anyone is willing to nominate this post I'd be much obliged.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

9. | #39

Talking I like this one!

I can't resist nominating this one by Bill Gletsos:

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showpost.p...3&postcount=15

How many times can you use the word 'post' or a deriviative thereof in a single sentence? Would you believe seven!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The fact that the post was reposted would show to an observant poster the fact that the repost has a different posting time to the posting time of the orginal deleted post.
    (Double bonus points for the gobbledegook!)

Oh, and for balance I also nominate Alex's post mentioned in the post above, which I might add was not reposted due to the fact that if it had been reposted, it had not been reposted in any way that an observant poster could observe, due to the fact that it did not have a different posting time to the original posting time of the original deleted post, if in fact, the original deleted post was ever originally deleted.
    Even a blind chook, pecking at the ground at random, will eventually find food!

10. | #40

Default Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Little Black Cat View Post
    I can't resist nominating this one by Bill Gletsos:

http://www.ozchess.com.au/showpost.p...3&postcount=15

How many times can you use the word 'post' or a deriviative thereof in a single sentence? Would you believe seven!?

(Double bonus points for the gobbledegook!)

Oh, and for balance I also nominate Alex's post mentioned in the post above, which I might add was not reposted due to the fact that if it had been reposted, it had not been reposted in any way that an observant poster could observe, due to the fact that it did not have a different posting time to the original posting time of the original deleted post, if in fact, the original deleted post was ever originally deleted.
    Done!

Thanks LBC. Because today, 1 January 2008, is a public hoiliday with some members being away, and because I promised at least 2 days voting, the poll will be open until 3 January. There is a $30 prize for the winner

AO

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

11. | #41

the poll closed early??
    Touch that Q-pawn at your own risk!

12. | #42

Quote Originally Posted by Slav View Post
    the poll closed early??
    For some reason yes, but it was supposed to be open today as per post 48 in this thread, so I have fixed the problem.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

AO

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

13. | #43

Alex, the following was posted by you earlier today in the shoutbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One in shoutbox
    [Today 09:57 AM] Arrogant-One: Last Day to vote for the December Post of the Month - poll closes at 12 noon (1pm if you live in Qld)
    Given the above shout how do you justify re-opening the poll.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 03-01-08 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fixed typo

14. | #44

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos View Post
    Alex, the following was posted by you earlier today in the shoutbox.

Given the above shout how do you justify re-opening the poll.
    What I stated in post 48 showed very clear intent, that 48 hours would be allowed for voting after 1 January 2008 which was a holiday. My shout was inconsistent with this, as Slav brought to my attention. Everyone deserves a chance to vote Bill. Slav, and other members have a right to rely on what I said in post 48, that the poll closes on 3 January.

Incidentally, to ensure that everything in relation to the POTM remains above board, the introduction of this new rule takes effect immediately and hereafter.

"Voting in the POTM poll is ONLY open to posters who are OzChess members before the poll is put up. Any new sign up members who vote after the poll has been put up will have their votes discounted."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

15. | #45

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    What I stated in post 48 showed very clear intent, that 48 hours would be allowed for voting after 1 January 2008 which was a holiday. My shout was inconsistent with this, as Slav brought to my attention. Everyone deserves a chance to vote Bill. Slav, and other members have a right to rely on what I said in post 48, that the poll closes on 3 January.
    Then I assume you will be online at midnight tonight to ensure the poll closes at precisely that time rather than at just after 2pm as the poll currently claims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    Incidentally, to ensure that everything in relation to the POTM remains above board, the introduction of this new rule takes effect immediately and hereafter.

"Voting in the POTM poll is ONLY open to posters who are OzChess members before the poll is put up. Any new sign up members who vote after the poll has been put up will have their votes discounted."
    Actually the poll should be public.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread since 23-02-20, 05:02 PM : 0

Actions :  (View-Readers)  (Set Date)  (Clear Date)

There are no names to display.