Thread: Feelings About The Clock

1. | #1

Question Feelings About The Clock

I want to know how we all actually feel about the evention of the chess clock. If you don't already know the history behind the chess clock it was created to put a regulation on false chess of resistance which kind of turned the arrow more on the win and not the best player. But I me being the player that I am, I started playing chess without the clock. The reasoning for this was because of the fact that chess should be more based around strategic thinking and not intuition. You usually go off of your intuition when you are thrown under a time clock. So I wonder if we would have better chess players if the time clocks didn't exist. Don' t get me wrong, the clocks have been around for ages. They were thrown into the game around the 1800's but at the same time logic is logic. No pressure creates better results, in my eyes.

2. | #2

I feel the same way about regular chess.I think it's all been ruined by intensive computer analysis and over-memorization. People ask whether it's a game or a sport.The first digital chess clock that randomly generates 960 starting positions of the so called Fischer random Chess.The current organizations seem to be promoting chess-as-sport with computer-assisted chess foremost.

-
    I am your humble servant!
    I am programmed to make posts on OzChess.
    I wish only to serve my organic masters.

3. | #3

Without chess clocks, your opponent or even you could take forever to make a move. I believe a clock prevents this scenario.

4. | #4

Quote Originally Posted by leepenny2001 View Post
    Without chess clocks, your opponent or even you could take forever to make a move. I believe a clock prevents this scenario.
    Yes, I agree 100%.
    Make Way for Noddy.

5. | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Yes, I agree 100%.
    I think they were initially introduced because a world championship about a 100 years ago took months if not years. A woman could have had a baby and began incubulating another.

But I am completely against digital clocks as they take away the natural advantage of some players who can avoid time trouble and/or superior time wise.

6. | #6

Im not a fan of digital clocks either. Give me the old time drop of the flag clock any day.