Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Dozsa - Hungarian Master

1. | #16

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Thanks Jak. I missed that. Now only the first four numbers appear.
    well done Alex!

2. | #17

Paul Dozsa liked his restaurant food.

3. | #18

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Gattaca

He's definitely dead, alas. I have a good friend who is a radiologist and he once asked me out of the blue if I knew of a strong chessplayer called Paul Dosza. When I replied in the affirmative he told me that sadly he had just seen X rays showing an aggressive brain tumour and the prognosis was terminal. Paul would have at least got some satisfaction from the way he died, as he would have seen it as vindication that the secret police implants had got him in the end.

He was a lovable rogue.

Once when I was 18 I played in an Australian championship in Perth and hadn't taken the trouble to work out how I was going to get back. Paul told me he could get me a cut price air ticket. When I asked how, he smiled enigmatically and said, "Ask me no kvestions and I will tell you no lies." When I got the ticket it had Michael Mescher's name on it, but it got me home, as there was very little airline security in those days.

Dosza once turned up to an Australian championship organised by Mike Bigiel but was inexplicably short the $50 he needed for the entry fee. Putting his silver tongue to work he soon convinced the unsuspecting Bigiel that the tournament would be much the poorer without his participation and that Mike should "lend" him the $50, to be repaid from his "prize winnings". This was standard work from Dosza, but what impressed everyone was that Dosza then somehow convinced Bigiel to actually physically give him the $50 in cash which he would use to enter the tournament later, rather than just have Mike pay his entry. It was a good tournament, but sans Dosza of course. He and the $50 did not reappear. I would love to have a recording of the conversation between Paul and Mike!

I can't remember Dosza falling asleep against The Norris, though that's the kind of thing that happens to The Norris, so it probably did happen. I can ask him, if no-one else remembers. I do however remember Dosza falling asleep in an, ahem, tired and emotional state, against Eddy Levi in an Australian Championship. Debate raged about whether Dosza should be woken up, but Levi didn't want to be part of the circus and declined to play on, telling the organisers that either he or Dosza would be continuing in the tournament, but not both. It was a fairly easy choice.

Matthew Drummond tells a funny story about a dinner hosted by Aivars Lidums in Adelaide. Lidums invited various chessplayers to dinner with him at a nice restaurant and the understanding was that he would be footing the bill, even though he didn't know all the players who tagged along. At some stage one of the tagger alongers in a moment of generosity ordered a $300 bottle of Dom Perignon for the table, which it was assumed was going to be his own contribution to proceedings since he hadn't run the idea past Lidums. Stephen Pickles then became quite agitated and asked Matthew in a whisper if he knew who that was. Matthew didn't know who Dosza was, so it meant nothing to him. Anyway, the inevitable upshot of it all was that the police were called. On this occasion Paul's belligerent side came to the fore and he warned the police that he was a black belt in Llap Goch or some obscure martial art, a gambit which failed to save him from another appointment with a representative of Her Majesty.

I've heard that Dosza didn't mind jail too much. He worked as a chef when in prison and was of course very familiar with several of the prisons.

One of Dosza greatest contributions to humanity was in the field of fashion. He was the first and only person I have seen to tie his goatee with an elastic band, which produced an eccentric but quite distinguished look.

R.I.P Paul Dosza. Whilst Mike Bigiel and numerous tailors and restauranteurs were the poorer with him, most of us are much the poorer without him.

So, this guy sounds like an interesting character. I would love to research him more and write more about him. Is there any other experiences that you had with him, because this is gold!

Did you ever ask him what his justification was for not paying his own way for food, acommodation etc? I think that that would be an interesting thing to know about (how he justified it all in his head for not contributing money).

4. | #19

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Yes, it's absolutely true - he was drunk and fell alseep mid-game! What did I do? Certainly I did not do "nothing" - upon query from Norris, I gave him the instruction to be very quiet!

In the early rounds Dozsa had been consuming vast amounts of alcohol at the board. After a couple of hours he would become rowdy and was a bit of a menace. He made daily mention of his karate prowess when I asked him to pipe down. After about round 3 I banned alcohol from the playing area. It was a ruling aimed at Dozsa, without quite pointing the finger at him.

His solution: between moves he would race across the 6 lane road outside for a scotch. So I told him he did not have my permission to leave the playing area.

His last solution: get totally wasted before the game. Result: one dozey chess player. As soon as his flag fell security was summoned and he was removed from the tournament hall, and the tournament.

During the event he was regularly loud, abusive, and twice knocked over games in progress. I feel that my actions were in the best interests of the tournament.

It was bloody funny though. The security guard they sent up made Gary Coleman look like a big'un. I thought dosza might go ballistic, and suggested to my fellow arbiter Manuel Weeks that we ought to help in his removal. Manuel laughed at me with a look of "Not in this lifetime my friend". The end was an anticlimax [of course].

So roughly, how many chess tournaments in Australia do you think Paul Dosza win? Was he still winning tournaments in his later life? BTW, I hear people say that he wasn't the guy in the blooper video reel that went viral because he had an accent that wasn't like that of the man in the video ie Australian accent.

5. | #20

Sorry, I know this is an extremely old thread, but I've only just discovered the urban legend of Paul Dosza. So, was this guy born of wealthy stock? Did he pretend to be wealthy? Was he wealthy in his home country?

6. | #21
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

Interesting person Paul Dozsa.

So many funny stories! Like The Black Ant Godfather mobster story! or the Terrorist gun dinner story.

I remember he would regularly collapse at MCC near the telephone and feign a heart attack. If anybody was silly enough to ring an ambulance he would get a good nights sleep at St Vincents and then be back the next day after a miraculous recovery.

cheers,
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

7. | #22

Quote Originally Posted by ChessForADD View Post
    So, this guy sounds like an interesting character. I would love to research him more and write more about him. Is there any other experiences that you had with him, because this is gold!

Did you ever ask him what his justification was for not paying his own way for food, acommodation etc? I think that that would be an interesting thing to know about (how he justified it all in his head for not contributing money).
    I believe he may have acquired that habit from his native Hungary where chess masters maybe treated something like royalty in chess cafes. He treated ladies in the same fashion making them pay for nights out.

Actually Ron Kite from NSW, still playing chess somewhere maybe out Penrith (Sydney) way, was a close friend of his decades ago, chase him up.

8. | #23

https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgm.../QCA00-010.pdf

about our good mate Paul. I would expect Dr Baron to label him a professional chess bum.

9. | #24

The same person??

10. | #25
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

haha....I call No....but good attempt at counter play.
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

11. | #26

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    haha....I call No....but good attempt at counter play.
    Elliot Renzies - another victim of conformation bias!
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

12. | #27

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Elliot Renzies - another victim of conformation bias!
    I have recently seen a pic of him with long hair when he was a youngster

13. | #28

No way is that the same person. This adds more mystery to the story now. Who is the bloke who kept getting arrested for not paying restaurant bills? Because it sure ain’t that chess player. I know that the newspapers have printed the same nam,’m but it’s definitely not the same bloke.

14. | #29

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    No way is that the same person. This adds more mystery to the story now. Who is the bloke who kept getting arrested for not paying restaurant bills? Because it sure ain’t that chess player. I know that the newspapers have printed the same nam,’m but it’s definitely not the same bloke.
    Just to clarify: are you saying the person arrested in the video is not Paul Dozsa?
    If so, i wholeheartedly agree with you.

15. | #30

Irina, i know you're new here and have only made one post, but i'm honour bound to inform you that when an OzChess Boy asks you a question it behooves you to respond in both a timely and prompt manner.
    Thank you and regards,
    Axiom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread since 04-03-20, 04:56 AM : 0

Actions :  (View-Readers)  (Set Date)  (Clear Date)

There are no names to display.