Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Presidential Election

1. | #1
    fireeater

Default Australian Presidential Election

Brian Jones and Gary Wastell have nominated for ACF President.

In England the chess President position is also up for grabs, and there has been talk of a vote for 'none of the above'.

Is this option available in Australia?
    Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand

I'm trying out a new blog site.....
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

2. | #2

Quote Originally Posted by mowcop View Post
    Brian Jones and Gary Wastell have nominated for ACF President.

In England the chess President position is also up for grabs, and there has been talk of a vote for 'none of the above'.

Is this option available in Australia?
    Brian Jones would make a good president. Gary could take up one of the deputy/vice president roles, and one of the three others could maybe take leave of the ACF to allow some new blood into the organisation. Just a thought.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

3. | #3

I am on the list this as well mowcop.

4. | #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Jamie, exactly what skills & experience would you be bringing to the role of President that would make delegates believe you would be a better candidate than Gary or Brian?
    Strange that you haven't asked this question of either Brian or Gary.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

5. | #5

Just2Good,

Its ok and I am prepared to answer this question in full. I will just lay what I have on the table and let the delegates decide.

6. | #6
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Just2Good,

Its ok and I am prepared to answer this question in full. I will just lay what I have on the table and let the delegates decide.
    I have a question for you, Should u become President will MCC be made the headquarters of the ACF?
    AC: 20-6-20-> ...I did tell them how chess improves people in many aspects. I had better start buying their paper.

7. | #7

Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    Just2Good,

Will you , as the spearhead of The New Way , advocate setting aside one fifth of the 100k ACF Stash fund for a project such as this : http://www.ozchess.com.au/showthread...up-For-Caissa-! ?

8. | #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    If assume you already know this but just want someone else to do the work of spelling it out for you. Just the sort of lazy attitude we would like to see in a new ACF Prez if so.
    To be fair, its not like past ACF Presidents have worked excessively hard. Maybe he just doesn't want to break tradition.

More concerning though is that NSW and Victoria alone have a majority of the 26 votes. That means if they unite, they call the shots - despite the wishes of the other states and territories.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

9. | #9

Hi Just 2 Good,

Noted your posting - Graeme G was an enthusistic energetic president -i attempted some difficult tilting at windmills without suceeding but with energy.

I havent really been closely associated with the next two presidents but what contact I have had I found them committed to the task. Whatever you may think of the last two presidents they have presided over a vastly improving bottom line for ACF so if there is a seachange in leadership at some stage in the future the new Prez will have a healthy bank balance (with the approval of ACF Council) to use on projects.

One thing I know which is that the Prez needs to carry the Council with him/her to achieve or attempt to achieve change obviously before the election but especially after the election.

Therefore whomever becomes Prez needs to already have the confidence/support of ACF delegates or be able to win them over with magnificent oratory and a brilliant platform.

Anyway just some idle thoughts!

10. | #10

To everyone concerned,

One thing that is extremely lacking in Australia at the moment and has been for a few years now I believe is Women's chess. If I am elected to President, I am hoping that I would have the support of the team that I work with to get more girls playing chess in clubs, the revival of the Australian Women's Championship and to help States out in junior chess. I know of some States where junior chess is very tiny and Women's chess almost doesn't exist at all. If delegates see this as a good thing and would like to know more of what I will stand for in the Presidential election, feel free to email me at jchess7@gmail.com

11. | #11

Hi lost,

On the other site you said many issues would be solved by having new sponsors who could fund tournies , programs etc.

Could you please let me know how many sponsors you have in mind or at least the sort of level of sponsorship you already have prepared to start should you be sucessful.

If you havent got sponsors in mind do you realise how difficult it is to encourage sponsors to donate and then the time / interpersonal skills it takes to keep sponsors onside.

Do you realise how time consuming being president of ACF really is and that it consumes somewhere between a half and fulltime job on a weekly basis - some weeks / months it is a fulltime job on the slow times its an easy 20 hours per week task? A lot of time is taken up not on big picture "nation building" stuff but mundane management/meeting details.
    Anyway I'm not trying to put you off merely saying that IF you are sucessful you should know what you are getting into.

Lastly my friend if not already you must be word perfect on your meeting procedures although some allowance may be made for youth.

12. | #12

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Hi lost,

On the other site you said many issues would be solved by having new sponsors who could fund tournies , programs etc.

Could you please let me know how many sponsors you have in mind or at least the sort of level of sponsorship you already have prepared to start should you be sucessful.

If you havent got sponsors in mind do you realise how difficult it is to encourage sponsors to donate and then the time / interpersonal skills it takes to keep sponsors onside.

Do you realise how time consuming being president of ACF really is and that it consumes somewhere between a half and fulltime job on a weekly basis - some weeks / months it is a fulltime job on the slow times its an easy 20 hours per week task? A lot of time is taken up not on big picture "nation building" stuff but mundane management/meeting details.
    Anyway I'm not trying to put you off merely saying that IF you are sucessful you should know what you are getting into.

Lastly my friend if not already you must be word perfect on your meeting procedures although some allowance may be made for youth.
    Hi George,

I like you. I don't always agree with you, but at least I know which direction you are coming from and that you are a straight shooter.

As you know there have been multiple criticisms of the ACF over the past few years, and I am not going to use this post to re-state them. But its probably fair to say that many of the issues stem from having people in the ACF who have been there for ages, and who oppose any new blood coming into the organization for a top to bottom change. It is as if the ACF is designed for retirees or people who seldom play tournament chess anymore.

If Jamie is interested in having a go at being ACF chief, then I salute him. Ideally, he would win it, and Brian Jones and Gary W can occupy Deputy/Vice President positions. That would leave one Deputy/Vice position left for the old guard (Dennis, Bill and Kevin). Of the three, Dennis and Bill have not made sufficient enough contributions to justify another turn. Kevin by going to Turkey did something useful, so he should probably be the one to stay on.

If this were to occur, I would say to myself (and all Australian chess players) that the ACF is finally moving in the right direction.

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

13. | #13

Hi Just2Good,

I actually agree with you that the ACF needs generational change and I have said that before but I dont have the energy to mentor anyone nor is that a role I would relish - I could do it but it would be bloody hard work - I've had my go now someone else should do their thing. I believe generational change will and must happen whether now is the time I can have my say as SACA ACF Delegate ( two votes I believe)if I am able to make the ACF AGM in January.

What I was trying to say in previous post was being Prez is also full of mundane hard work done by many folks including the Prez. The work done by treasurer / Secretary/rating officer etc etc. But the glue which holds everything together is Council , Exec and Prez with the Council being the final decision making body. It is this Council that the Prez presides over and why knowledge of meeting procedure is important for the smooth running of council. Experienced Councillors could completely throw an inexperienced Prez off their game through knowledge of meeting procedure - unfortunately you have to have order and decorum whilst encouraging debate without a free for all. With this comes the game of meeting procedure which much like chess you have to master before you can finesse.
    Anyway nice chatting Just2Good - bye 4 now.

14. | #14

Hi lost,

Does it matter what Jamie has in mind at this moment in time? The simple fact is finding sponsors is not that hard, nor is maintaining good relationships with sponsors. Whatever Jamie has in his mind now is bound to change, so long as he is always open, honest and direct.

It is only as difficult as you make it. Failure is no excuse for giving up.
    Do you realise how time consuming being president of ACF really is and that it consumes somewhere between a half and fulltime job on a weekly basis - some weeks / months it is a fulltime job on the slow times its an easy 20 hours per week task?
    This type of thinking is old and stale. The only way a job like ACF President becomes like this is because mindsets are locked into false paradigms. Sticking to first principles and allowing open autonomy is the social revolution of now. Innovation is key not time consumption. Process should be automated not directed.
    A lot of time is taken up not on big picture "nation building" stuff but mundane management/meeting details.
    This is because the ACF lacks innovation. Throw out old failed ideas and bring in new revolutionary ideas. The world is changing.
    These gatekeepers must go!
    AC: 20-6-20-> ...I did tell them how chess improves people in many aspects. I had better start buying their paper.

15. | #15

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    If Jamie is interested in having a go at being ACF chief, then I salute him. Ideally, he would win it, and Brian Jones and Gary W can occupy Deputy/Vice President positions. That would leave one Deputy/Vice position left for the old guard (Dennis, Bill and Kevin). Of the three, Dennis and Bill have not made sufficient enough contributions to justify another turn. Kevin by going to Turkey did something useful, so he should probably be the one to stay on.
    Jones is a born leader. He actually does things.
    Jamie needs to start of doing a task.
    Canfell is a left field choice, I am impressed by his work

Jessop should get the chop. - Life
    Wastell should be given his marching orders. _Life
    Bonham should be sent back to Tasmania. -10 years hard labor
    Bill is a good worker, but he shouldn't be allowed to tinker - Good behaviour bond.

How about blooding Szuveges, Sandler or Cordover, people who actually get things done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast