Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98

Thread: Moderation Decisions

  1. | #1
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default Moderation Decisions

    This thread will be to keep members updated on things like:

    • Members who will be taking a Time Out (A polite way of saying someone got banned);
    • Complaint Forms Lodged by X against Y;
    • Result of Complaint Forms; and
    • The number of warning points awarded.

    Once again I remind people to try and solve their differences with other posters themselves via PM before getting OzChess staff involved. The ethos of this forum is not about condemnation or punishing people. Its about maintaining an atmosphere of civilness and politeness, respecting the opinions of others while still being able to freely voice your own views without fear of retaliation or being unreasonably assailed, gagged or repressed (by moderators or other posters).

    As such, discussion of moderation decisions is welcome in this thread.

    Best

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  2. | #2
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default Bill Gletsos Banned 24 Hours

    Bill Gletsos is banned for 24 hours for making a deliberately false and misleading statement.

    I never agreed not to run.
    Lyons just assumed that was the case.
    Having spoken with Peter Parr in the past on multiple occasions, I know Bill's statement to be completely untrue.

    The deception was further compounded when Bill then used a technicality at the AGM to preclude both Peter and Jason from acquiring NSWCA membership in time to run, thus allowing Bill to run a Zimbabwe style one man presidential election - which of course he won.
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  3. | #3
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default Kevin Bonham Banned for 48 Hours


    I regret to advise that Kevin Bonham has been given a 48 hour time out for putting words into other peoples mouths and for not accepting the cordial undertaking offered to him by another member to desist in doing so in the future.

    Best

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  4. | #4
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    [FONT="Georgia"]Bill Gletsos is banned for 24 hours for making a deliberately false and misleading statement.
    I will register an objection to the banning of Bill Gletsos for presenting his case. While I do not think that the episode being referred to is infamous, BG should be allowed to defend himself. FREE SPEECH RULES!
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  5. | #5
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    [FONT="Georgia"]
    I regret to advise that Kevin Bonham has been given a 48 hour time out for putting words into other peoples mouths and for not accepting the cordial undertaking offered to him by another member to desist in doing so in the future.
    I will register an objection to the banning of Kevin Bonham. The current fashion of claiming a "words-in-my-mouth" infraction is, in my mind not a serious faux pas. The squawks that defend and condemn the practise must be accepted as part of the exercising of FREE SPEECH.
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  6. | #6
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Ozchess is trialling an open complaint registration process. Instead of moderating posters, we aim to foster on this site, democratic expression within the guidelines of social accountability. We wish to actively encourage all posters to regulate each other. Please remember- This civil process is available for everybody. [bold by icono]
    I am not comfortable with banning. Lets keep regulation at the personal level.
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  7. | #7
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    [FONT="Georgia"]You objected, so you tell me what they are bringing to the table that makes OzChess a better place.
    Not much. But they do bring a challenge. The challenge is to the rectitude of OzChess governance. Every time KB and BG get banned, They have successfully brought OzChess down a rung. I am dead set against adopting the modus operandi that makes ChessChat a leaking colostomy bag that spreads infective invective thoughout Australian chess.
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  8. | #8
    Senior Member phild707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ostrówek, Gmina Karczew, Poland
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    I will register an objection to the banning of Kevin Bonham. The current fashion of claiming a "words-in-my-mouth" infraction is, in my mind not a serious faux pas. The squawks that defend and condemn the practise must be accepted as part of the exercising of FREE SPEECH.
    I disagree!
    You don't have free speech if what you say is misrepresented and an untruthful version of what you said is presented as fact.
    In Bonham's case he twisted the meaning of what i said in an attempt to add weight to his argument.
    It's one of many dreary old inflammatory tactics brought over from chesschat that serve no purpose other than to escaslate a discussion into a "flamewar" as quickly as possible.

    I know that the abuse of the practice of banning as it was used on chess chat is loathesome to many here (me included!) however in the special case that is KB and BG i don't see any other choice.
    If they have come here purely to rework old vendettas and this was to be tolerated on this board then quite frankly I would not want to be a member of OZChess.
    One of the good things about being banned from ChessChat was not having to wade through all that crap anymore and i certainly don't want to go back to that again on OZChess.

    Lastly on one of my very rare visits to CC a couple of days ago I discovered that entire discussions that have occurred on this board are being ported over there (copy and paste) by Kevin. He then proceeds to ridicule OZChess and it's members for the benefit of the general CC membership.
    In this way he is USING OZChess to feed interest in his board with scandalaous goings-on here.
    Maybe that is the only or prime reason that he began posting here in the first place.
    I think that this is despicable practice. For a start there is no right of response by any of the members here when their names are taken in vain over there.
    It is a practice that further emphsises to me that there is no place for him here and one that reminds me yet again how far superior moderation is on this board.

    Phil.
    .
    "I was born in West Belfast. Had I not been so young at the time I would doubtless have chosen a less fractious stage upon which to make my debut.."
    Phil Donnelly

  9. | #9
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default Good synopsis

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    I disagree!
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    You don't have free speech if what you say is misrepresented and an untruthful version of what you said is presented as fact.
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    In Bonham's case he twisted the meaning of what i said in an attempt to add weight to his argument. It's one of many dreary old inflammatory tactics brought over from chesschat that serve no purpose other than to escaslate a discussion into a "flamewar" as quickly as possible.
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    I know that the abuse of the practice of banning as it was used on chess chat is loathesome to many here (me included!) however in the special case that is KB and BG i don't see any other choice.
    I concur, but will add that I have seen some mild improvement in civilness from Bill since he was first banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    If they have come here purely to rework old vendettas and this was to be tolerated on this board then quite frankly I would not want to be a member of OZChess.
    I concur and feel the same way.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    One of the good things about being banned from ChessChat was not having to wade through all that crap anymore and i certainly don't want to go back to that again on OZChess.
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    Lastly on one of my very rare visits to CC a couple of days ago I discovered that entire discussions that have occurred on this board are being ported over there (copy and paste) by Kevin. He then proceeds to ridicule OZChess and it's members for the benefit of the general CC membership.
    Well, on the plus side, I suspect people have stopped paying attention to him even in the swamp. Even antichrist recently advised him to get a life. I think we may be seeing the first stirrings of a revolution in the swamp! A revolution to change swamp leadership - it will be interesting to see if it goes anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    In this way he is USING OZChess to feed interest in his board with scandalaous goings-on here.
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    Maybe that is the only or prime reason that he began posting here in the first place.
    I cannot concur. Kevin and Bill first started posting here because they were attracted to OzChess' friendly and civil environment. By contrast to the swamp, OzChess is an idylic paradise. On a world scale it is tantamount to being the USA whereas the swamp is more like Sudan.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    I think that this is despicable practice.
    I concur.

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    For a start there is no right of response by any of the members here when their names are taken in vain over there. It is a practice that further emphsises to me that there is no place for him here and one that reminds me yet again how far superior moderation is on this board.
    I concur, and will say you seem to have hit the nail on the head Phil. Good synopsis!

    Best

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  10. | #10
    Immoderator Iconoclast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    2,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    I disagree!
    You don't have free speech if what you say is misrepresented and an untruthful version of what you said is presented as fact.
    Not true. You still have free speech to correct the wrong.


    however in the special case that is KB and BG i don't see any other choice.
    They are NOT a special case. They are just another very ordinary troll problem.
    If they have come here purely to rework old vendettas and this was to be tolerated on this board then quite frankly I would not want to be a member of OZChess.
    Don't tolerate it.
    Fix it.
    Stay civil and "Don't feed the trolls."

    ...entire discussions that have occurred on this board are being ported over there (copy and paste) by Kevin. He then proceeds to ridicule OZChess and it's members for the benefit of the general CC membership.
    ...
    I think that this is despicable practice.
    Archetypical KB behaviour.
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

  11. | #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild707 View Post
    Lastly on one of my very rare visits to CC a couple of days ago I discovered that entire discussions that have occurred on this board are being ported over there (copy and paste) by Kevin. He then proceeds to ridicule OZChess and it's members for the benefit of the general CC membership.
    This complaint is rich.
    Before carrying on about it you really should have had a look closer to home and checked out the Bullying on Chess Chat thread which is full of posts consisting of original posts made elsewhere and dragged over.

  12. | #12
    Senior Member Firegoat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Hi Everyone,


    This is a sticky ya? Alex could you do your business again? or Do u want me to give it an attempt?

    cheers Fg7
    P.S Thanks for the split last time Alex
    P.P.S Everyone will have to cross their fingers if I make an attempt at the split..lol
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers



  13. | #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Hi Everyone,


    This is a sticky ya? Alex could you do your business again? or Do u want me to give it an attempt?

    cheers Fg7
    P.S Thanks for the split last time Alex
    P.P.S Everyone will have to cross their fingers if I make an attempt at the split..lol
    This is listed as a discussion thread, so why do you believe it needs to be split as the discussions appear to be on topic.

  14. | #14
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Hi Everyone,


    This is a sticky ya? Alex could you do your business again? or Do u want me to give it an attempt?

    cheers Fg7
    P.S Thanks for the split last time Alex
    P.P.S Everyone will have to cross their fingers if I make an attempt at the split..lol
    Hi Dave,

    I am a little unsure what exactly you want me to do. I need a question like this:

    (ie) Alex, can you please take post 17, 18, and 20 and make a separate thread for them?

    Best

    AO
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  15. | #15
    Senior Member Firegoat7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Hi Alex,


    At other sites where I post nobody can actually post in the stickies, except mods. For some reason ours just end up becoming threads. I presumed that members wouldn't be able to post in them. This is desirable because they ought to be used for guidelines, announcements or FAQs. Maybe we have forgotten to lock them when we post on them?
    So for this post I chose to close the thread, just as an example.
    Lol its all good, just figuring out the technical stuff.
    cheers Fg7

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •