Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Olympiad 2014

  1. | #16
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Hi,
    I met Arianne in Bled , Slovenia when she was playing for the Philipines. She spent most of her time with the aussie girls - she was 15 at the time accompanied by her mum.
    I've never met her mum. In fact, since she started dating Aronian, I kind of lost touch with her. But the fact she won't play for Australia is disappointing, although I see her point about the government not funding pro chess players the way other countries do, and the inevitable consequences which follow.
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  2. | #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Hi Just2Good,

    Well she can play for Philipines Australia or Netherlands so she can take her pick. It is a hassle changing federations but not impossible so she has a choice. But yes it sucks the total lack of government funding to chess in general and total lack of support to professional players.

  3. | #18
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    Arianne was unavailable for one Olympiad for which she initially applied and was selected, because of unexpected work commitments. She played in the one before. Good as Arianne is I don't think anyone really should think (or that Arianne does think) that governments should be funding players rated 12,000th-ish in the world to go pro at a rate that could compete with Arianne's normal work. And I doubt there are governments that do.

  4. | #19
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    Arianne was unavailable for one Olympiad for which she initially applied and was selected, because of unexpected work commitments. She played in the one before. Good as Arianne is I don't think anyone really should think (or that Arianne does think) that governments should be funding players rated 12,000th-ish in the world to go pro at a rate that could compete with Arianne's normal work. And I doubt there are governments that do.
    Its an interesting point, but where does Australia's top player rank in the world-wide rankings? Also, if the government would start funding Australia's top chess players, then maybe we'd see more world class GM's immigrating in order to take advantage of that.
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

  5. | #20
    Senior Member antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Byron Bay, NSW
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Its an interesting point, but where does Australia's top player rank in the world-wide rankings? Also, if the government would start funding Australia's top chess players, then maybe we'd see more world class GM's immigrating in order to take advantage of that.
    actually it is not easy for GMs to migrate to Oz land I dont think. It is not an actually profession nor accepted like actual sports champions. A player in the top ten may make it. A super GM that is, not those phonies whom you claim to defeat.

  6. | #21
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    [FONT=Georgia]Its an interesting point, but where does Australia's top player rank in the world-wide rankings?
    It doesn't matter to this discussion about a particular player because we absolutely won't create any rankings-toppers by throwing money at anyone in the current scene over age 25. If we had the money it would be better (for the purposes of ranking goals) spent on creating and maintaining extraordinary junior talents and tied to whatever would encourage their retention as adults.

  7. | #22
    Senior Member antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Byron Bay, NSW
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    It doesn't matter to this discussion about a particular player because we absolutely won't create any rankings-toppers by throwing money at anyone in the current scene over age 25. If we had the money it would be better (for the purposes of ranking goals) spent on creating and maintaining extraordinary junior talents and tied to whatever would encourage their retention as adults.
    Strictly speaking in a smallish country like Australia with it's outside distractions (like self-feeding sharks) we need sort of a monastic community that can support itself on low funds to concentrate on chess. Have chess seminars, week end retreats etc - in reality a haven away from reality. A farm location of course so the players can help support with food themselves whilst getting exercise and achievement of achieving something outside of chess. And also away from worldly pressures. But no sex scandals please that seem compulsory on every other such community.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •