Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Olympiad head of delegation - call for expressions of interest

  1. | #1
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Olympiad head of delegation - call for expressions of interest

    Quote Originally Posted by the ACF Newsletter 31 May 2016

    OLYMPIAD HEAD OF DELEGATION - CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

    The ACF is calling for expressions of interest from people interested in being appointed to the position of Head of Delegation for Australia for the Baku Olympiad (1-14 September 2016).

    Applicants must have prior experience in this or a similar management role for Australian chess teams overseas or ongoing involvement in Australian chess administration.

    The duties of the Head of Delegation are administrative supervision of the teams and liaison with the organisers and tournament director, and any other similar roles agreed prior to appointment.

    In practice the Head of Delegation often deals with log.istics for the teams (including solving billing and accommodation problems with the organisers or attending meetings on the teamís behalf) in order to leave the teams and captains as free to concentrate on chess as possible.


    FIDE and the organisers have stated that Heads of Delegation will receive full board at this Olympiad.


    http://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9635-baku-olympiad-announcement-heads-of-delegation.html
    We have watched locally, and at times parochially, the appointments/selections of:
    • players,
    • Arbiters, and then
    • Team Captains for the forthcoming Baku event.


    We were chuffed when one (and more) of our local Arbiters got a gig. Thanks to Brian Jones' initiative many years back there are many IAs in Victoria as they have gone through the various training courses and subsequent Examinations to become titled.

    This is a good development of chess administration in the past decade. No excuse now not have a qualified IA at every senior event in Victoria.

    But of course this has introduced a competitive element in respect to appointments to plum events.
    For some, Baku looks like a plum event.

    So, what are the qualifications to be appointed to OLYMPIAD HEAD OF DELEGATION?

    By my reading of the ACF notice, a necessary but not sufficient qualification is for an applicant to have an IO title.
    That shortlists the race for plums a bit.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  2. | #2
    Siberian Chess Tiger Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,947

    Default

    So who has an IO (International Organiser) title in Oz?
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

  3. | #3
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    So who has an IO (International Organiser) title in Oz?
    Hmm, good question.
    I guess it is on a list somewhere.
    Perhaps the ACF web-site; but maybe not because that is being rebuilt.
    I will check FIDE first.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  4. | #4
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default

    Ahh. The FIDE website has a nice little search function.

    Code:
    IDcode Name T WT Oth. T. Fed Rtg Rpd Blz B-Year S F
    3209768 Anderson-Smith, William IO AUS 1750 1944 M i
    3215156 Burgess, Shane IO AUS 1972 M
    3211487 Gardiner, Graeme FA,IO AUS 1948 M
    3205460 Greenwood, Norman IO AUS 1611 1683 1598 1932 M
    3216322 Hartland, Gerrit IO AUS 1930 M
    3200663 Jones, Brian FM FA,IO AUS 2009 2019 1947 M
    3201805 Sandler, Leonid IM FA,IO AUS 2228 2294 2199 1962 M
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  5. | #5
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    By my reading of the ACF notice, a necessary but not sufficient qualification is for an applicant to have an IO title.
    What a load of utter nonsense, even by the standards of this site or lack thereof. An IO title is a FIDE title for organising tournaments. It has nothing to do with running a delegation. It is neither a necessary nor a sufficient qualification and arguably not even a relevant one. The necessary qualifications are clearly stated in the notice. It is beyond stupid and a new extension of even your bizarre approach to logic to go ignoring the stated necessary qualifications and making a new one up. But I think I know why you are doing it.

    The Head of Delegation for Tromso was not an IO (though she is an IA).
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

  6. | #6
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    What a load of utter nonsense, even by the standards of this site or lack thereof. An IO title is a FIDE title for organising tournaments. It has nothing to do with running a delegation. It is neither a necessary nor a sufficient qualification and arguably not even a relevant one. The necessary qualifications are clearly stated in the notice. It is beyond stupid and a new extension of even your bizarre approach to logic to go ignoring the stated necessary qualifications and making a new one up. But I think I know why you are doing it.

    The Head of Delegation for Tromso was not an IO (though she is an IA).
    A credential such as:
    • an International Arbiter title
    • an International Master title
    • an International Organiser title


    when achieved, indicates the holder has reached a skill set as measured by an Examination and demonstrated Experience.
    Three titles in this list, and probably some ovelap in the three skill sets.
    Using credentials as one of selection criteria between applicants for team-roles is a step forward from selection procedures that rely solely on lobbying.

    There is no credential for Head of Delegation at the moment, I presume.
    But an evaluation of the qualifications requested for the Australian Head of Delegation shows the nearest matching skill set is the IO credential, in my view.
    I am surprised you take the debating position that there is no relevance in the IO skill set to the Head of Delegation duties.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  7. | #7
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    A credential such as:
    • an International Arbiter title
    • an International Master title
    • an International Organiser title


    when achieved, indicates the holder has reached a skill set as measured by an Examination and demonstrated Experience.
    Actually in the case of the listed IOs you are wrong about that. The examination requirement was introduced with effect from Jan 2012 but since its introduction there have been no fresh Australian applications for the IO title. All the listed IOs plus the late Peter Parr received the title by applying prior to the cutoff. This simply required having organised five FIDE-rated tournaments of at least two types and receiving suitable recommendations from Chief Arbiters or other appropriate persons.

    Using credentials as one of selection criteria between applicants for team-roles is a step forward from selection procedures that rely solely on lobbying.
    I am not quite sure which part of "Applicants must have prior experience in this or a similar management role for Australian chess teams overseas or ongoing involvement in Australian chess administration. " you were unable to read. "selection proceudres that rely solely on lobbying" is your straw-man, and you can continue matching it against FIDE credentials as much as you like but the fact is that the ACF has applied an approach that is superior to both. That said, we have mainly done so to discourage applications that have no chance of success, in particular from overseas junket-seekers.

    But an evaluation of the qualifications requested for the Australian Head of Delegation shows the nearest matching skill set is the IO credential, in my view.
    Your view is based on a false understanding of how the IO credential was acquired, but even if that were not the case your view would be irrelevant wibble anyway. Having done this sort of job or a similar job well before is obviously a more relevant factor than ability to organise tournaments.
    Last edited by HydraTED; 08-06-16 at 07:32 PM.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

  8. | #8
    Siberian Chess Tiger Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,947

    Default

    Maybe we need an IHoD qualification certificate.
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

  9. | #9
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default What to call it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Maybe we need an IHoD qualification certificate.
    Even on this thread, variously called
    qualification
    title
    credential
    qualification certificate.

    If Australia is going to define differently the roles and requirements of the position we would want to be sure that our hosts are getting what they expect and pay for.

    We are obliged to take a lead from the official FIDE invitation to attend:
    https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9635-baku-olympiad-announcement-heads-of-delegation.html



    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  10. | #10
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    If Australia is going to define differently the roles and requirements of the position we would want to be sure that our hosts are getting what they expect and pay for.
    And this is another clueless beatup from you since our definition of the roles is in fact sourced more or less exactly from the FIDE handbook, quite aside from being entirely consistent with the summary given by the organisers.

    Look, I get entirely what you are really saying here. You are saying that an open and fair merit-based public application process is unwelcome because it might obstruct the chances of someone who happens to be from Victoria gaining the inside running. You are saying we should not have publicly advertised the position at all, and to punish us for doing so you are engaging in a beatup comprised largely of unadulterated bulldust, but in reality not even that good because it has also had some of your silly word games included in the mix.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

  11. | #11
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    .... and to punish us ...
    ?

    Us?
    Have you looked at the bottom of the thread to see who reads here?

    drukka, Ax and yourself!
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  12. | #12
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    ?

    Us?
    Have you looked at the bottom of the thread to see who reads here?

    drukka, Ax and yourself!
    And two cravens, one of them presumably you: "Members who have read this thread : 5". An extremely pathetic number I agree, but people can read as guest. In any case, it's entirely obvious from #1 that your agenda is to push the barrow for Victorians irrespective of merit, and therefore that you will come up with any whimsical and irrational bulldust to serve as a paltry veneer of justification for your "parochialism" along the way.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

  13. | #13
    Volunteer MOZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.
    Posts
    5,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    And two cravens, one of them presumably you: "Members who have read this thread : 5". An extremely pathetic number I agree, but people can read as guest. In any case, it's entirely obvious from #1 that your agenda is to push the barrow for Victorians irrespective of merit, and therefore that you will come up with any whimsical and irrational bulldust to serve as a paltry veneer of justification for your "parochialism" along the way.
    While you persist with the view that the achievement of an International Organiser title is irrelevant (see post #5) as an indicator of capability to be a Head of Delegation, and without merit(see post #12) as an indicator of capability to be a Head of Delegation, I can only hope the Selection Panel is less blinkered and not swayed by learnings that appeal to 'the school of hard knocks'.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

  14. | #14
    Senior Membaaaaaa HydraTED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    While you persist with the view that the achievement of an International Organiser title is irrelevant (see post #5) as an indicator of capability to be a Head of Delegation, and without merit(see post #12) as an indicator of capability to be a Head of Delegation, I can only hope the Selection Panel is less blinkered and not swayed by learnings that appeal to 'the school of hard knocks'.
    Ah, so you hope the Selection Panel (ie the ACF Council) ignores evidence of past experience in the role being considered, but you think it should very strongly consider evidence of past experience in different roles.

    You are engaging in paraphrasing, which you have frequently claimed to oppose in the past. I of course do not oppose paraphrasing automatically; rather, I believe that it should be left to those who are good at it. Anyone can see that I said "arguably not even a relevant" rather than "irrelevant" in #5 and also that my comment about indifference to merit pertained to your original motivation rather than whatever you randomly offered up in the process. You however have no defence to the charge that you are banging the drum for the big V, because you already confessed to it. I suppose if confronted with a hypothetical in which two applicants were identical in all regards save that one was an IO and the other was not, I would consider it an acceptable tiebreaker, just a long way down the list.

    The funny thing is that in the Australian chess community it seems to be only certain Victorians (and a very small minority) who carry on like this. No-one from any other state (except perhaps for antichrist when trolling) seems so desirous to impress upon us all that they are in the centre of the universe.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

  15. | #15
    Tin Cup Champ 2004 Just2Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    7,117

    Cool Good Point MOZ!

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    If Australia is going to define differently the roles and requirements of the position we would want to be sure that our hosts are getting what they expect and pay for.
    That's a good point MOZ. Wouldn't consistency with FIDE titles be best for everyone?
    .
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

    ~ Isaiah Berlin ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •