Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Chess Federation website is a public relations disaster

1. | #1
    Currently playing online chess at different locations.

Default Australian Chess Federation website is a public relations disaster

The Australian Chess Federation website is a public relations disaster

1. The Online DGT Games are completely out of date, some rooms have expired links.

2. You have to register via email for a secret society newsletter

3. The calendar is dated 2014

4. Government Relations are always,but never, updated

5.The Announcement page announces nothing and is basically the newsletter page

6. Rating usage is copyrighted and requires permission to use

7. The Grand prix details are simply boring

Is this website supposed to promote Australian chess?
    AC: 20-6-20-> ...I did tell them how chess improves people in many aspects. I had better start buying their paper.

2. | #2

I have an idea! Instead of wasting time and money sending Bonham to Baku as a delegate, spend the dollars on some local content! Maybe update the calender! Or actually make an announcement!
    AC: 20-6-20-> ...I did tell them how chess improves people in many aspects. I had better start buying their paper.

3. | #3

Hi All,
    I agree with you Firegoat7 the ACF website is pretty boring! The SACA website was slowish to be updated and a bit old fashioned.

The last few months SACA has a new modern website which is updated regularly and a Facebook page which is fairly dynamic as well as Twitter I believe which I don't use.
    The younger brigade in charge of SACA now have taken to using the new mediums well and I congratulate them.

Perhaps ACF should look to SACA with a small population base for what can be achieved. I think SACA probably has as many members as does MCC.
    Onwards forever onwards !!!

4. | #4

It seems to be a certainty that the updating of web-sites has an element of inconsistentcy.

If the task is being done by a youngster who is approaching the task because of its novelty value then my experience is that the job is done well.
    If otherwise, then the task usually needs to be monetarised to get good attention.

5. | #5

Default Front Desk Appeal

Quote Originally Posted by epacris longiflora View Post
    It seems to be a certainty that the updating of web-sites has an element of inconsistentcy.

If the task is being done by a youngster who is approaching the task because of its novelty value then my experience is that the job is done well.
    If otherwise, then the task usually needs to be monetarised to get good attention.
    Perhaps free entry to a number of tournaments, free airfare and entry to The Australian Championships/Open etc

Do the ACF still have 100K in the bank?
    Do they examine priorities within a reality analysis type framework?
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

6. | #6
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.

I read george's comments around 5pm today (29/8/16) in regard to an ACF web-site (which has issues about not being kept up to date).
    It could be argued that the real ACF website is in fact chesschat; where Barry, Kevin, and Bill regularly keep it up to date.
    In fact it would be hard to argue that chesschat is not the official website of the ACF <1 its user community came from an ACF chatboard 2 its moderators are ACF officials 3 It is full of official notices from the ACF like ratings of tournaments and invitations to be selected>.

It is odd how one's perspective changes overtime. The original out-sourcing of the ACF chess community of posters was reminiscent of CRA's tactic of outsourcing internal problems/workforces/products/ to other arms-length institutions. That is, the ACF outsourced a user community to Net.l.o.gi.ist.ics.
    The theory was the new combined chatboard would be a Gamechat.
    The benefit to the ACF is that the legal issues were put arms length.
    But it remains chesschat.
    It is the internet site most reasonably that can be called the ACF web-site.
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

7. | #7

Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    [COLOR=#a0522d][FONT=Arial][B]I read george's comments around 5pm today (29/8/16) in regard to an ACF web-site (which has issues about not being kept up to date).
    It could be argued that the real ACF website is in fact chesschat; where Barry, Kevin, and Bill regularly keep it up to date.
    Anything whatsoever "could be argued". Malcolm Roberts argues that climate change is a fraud. That doesn't mean it is one. Axiom argues many things that are palpably insane.

I have done a lot on the updating of certain sections of the official ACF website, and continue to maintain these sections, and have also removed one of the more egregiously out of date items. That both you and firegoat (among others, lest you be so craven as to try taking credit for it) whined about these aspects in the past but would rather die than give me even the most grudging credit for this is noted with the usual satisfaction. I have limited web skills and time but have done something. The difficulty is finding more who will do so.

Anyone else who whines but has not contacted the ACF and offered to help with the website themselves is simply a waste of space and their opinions on the website are irrelevant.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

8. | #8

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    Anyone else who whines but has not contacted the ACF and offered to help with the website themselves is simply a waste of space and their opinions on the website are irrelevant.
    Maybe if KB resigned from all ACF duties better people would fill that void because at the moment his attitude is not very encouraging towards new volunteers.

9. | #9

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Maybe if KB resigned from all ACF duties better people would fill that void because at the moment his attitude is not very encouraging towards new volunteers.
    I am extremely encouraging towards new volunteers. What I am not encouraging towards is serial whingers who complain, complain, complain and who do not volunteer. Like you.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

10. | #10

I find it interesting that KB continues with the aspect of voluntarism without acknowledging epacris longiflora's point about monetirising the role: "..the task usually needs to be monetarised to get good attention" and my suggestion of providing compensation: "Perhaps free entry to a number of tournaments, free airfare and entry to The Australian Championships/Open etc"

Anything whatsoever "could be argued". ...
    Then dismissing and ignoring the actual argument that MOZ proceeded to present!

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED
    Axiom argues many things that are palpably insane.
    I would argue that it is palpably insane to argue that Axiom argues many things that are palpably insane!

Last edited by Axiom; 30-08-16 at 06:24 PM.

11. | #11

What I am not encouraging towards is serial whingers who complain, complain, complain and who do not volunteer. Like you.
    Let's stick to the issue at hand in an objective less histrionic way. Was Fg complaining or alerting?
    Fg simply presented a reasonable list of aspects that in his view could be improved upon.
    Does he have to volunteer for duty before his voice can be heard?

Maybe we could all discuss this together on the chesschat forum?

12. | #12

KB your focus on volunteering in this discussion seems at odds with your treatment of one of the biggest and most successful volunteers in Australian Chess. I of course refer to the highly dubious CC life-banning of award-winning chess organiser Trevor Stanning (MOZ).

13. | #13

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Let's stick to the issue at hand in an objective less histrionic way. Was Fg complaining or alerting?
    Fg simply presented a reasonable list of aspects that in his view could be improved upon.
    Does he have to volunteer for duty before his voice can be heard?

Maybe we could all discuss this together on the chesschat forum?
    http://www.theage.com.au/business/am...24-gr0b6a.html

14. | #14

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    I find it interesting that KB continues with the aspect of voluntarism without acknowledging epacris longiflora's point about monetirising the role: "..the task usually needs to be monetarised to get good attention" and my suggestion of providing compensation for undertaking the position: "Perhaps free entry to a number of tournaments, free airfare and entry to The Australian Championships/Open etc"
    Those posts were posted more than a week ago and were just harmless if uninformed thought-bubbles rather than the sort of silly garbage seen in #6, though one account has been exposed as a hydra of the other. Anyway the site is set up in precisely such a way as to avoid the problem of difficulty attracting a single web-savvy person. That's not the issue here.

Then dismissing and ignoring the actual argument that MOZ proceeded to present!
    Even you with your delusional "reality analysis" twaddle should realise it is not possible to both dismiss and ignore an argument at the same time.

I would argue that it is palpably insane to argue that Axiom argues many things that are palpably insane!
    Well that would be just your normal insanity level if you did.

15. | #15

Anyway the site is set up in precisely such a way as to avoid the problem of difficulty attracting a single web-savvy person. That's not the issue here.
    Maybe it is precisely the issue here.

Even you with your delusional "reality analysis" twaddle should realise it is not possible to both dismiss and ignore an argument at the same time.
    yet you managed to do so. ... and again here!!

Well that would be just your normal insanity level if you did.
    I rest my case.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast